- Prep: 6 hr 40 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total: 6 hr 45 min
- Serving: Makes 12 Servings
Cut this molded salad into thick slices and serve as a refreshing side to grilled meats or fish.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unflavored powdered gelatin, softened in 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 2 jarred pimentos, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and minced
- Vegetable oil for greasing
- Grease a 12 x 4 x 2-1⁄2-inch loaf pan with vegetable oil and then set aside.
- Place the sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, gelatin, and salt in a large saucepan over medium heat and stir until the gelatin has totally dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill.
- Add the celery, cabbage, pimentos and green pepper to the pan and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan and then place in the refrigerator for 6 hours to chill.
- To remove the salad from the mold, place the pan in hot water for 5 seconds then invert onto a serving plate.