- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
It used to be customary to prepare this dish in the same pan as the roast so the drippings could fall upon it. Now however, it is made in a separate pan and then cut into squares and served.
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup water
- Leave all of the ingredients out until they reach room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Sift the flour and the salt into a bowl and then make a well in the center.
- Add the milk and stir to combine, and then beat in the eggs and the water.
- Continue beating the mixture until large bubbles begin to rise to the surface.
- Place 1/4-inch of roast drippings into a 9x12-inch baking dish and then place in the oven until the dish becomes very hot.
- Add the batter and bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Serve immediately.