- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 36 min
- Total: 46 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
In this dish, the classic Irish potato and cabbage combo is modernized using steamed red potatoes and sautéed cabbage.
- 1 pound small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 6 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced (about 1/2 head)
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Using a steamer, steam the potatoes for about 20 minutes until soft yet still tender, and then transfer to a large bowl, covering to keep warm.
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter over medium heat and then add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Mix in the cabbage and sauté the mixture for an additional 5 minutes. Cabbage will begin to brown.
- Turn the heat down to low and then slowly pour in the milk, mixing to combine. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper and then simmer the mixture, covered, for about 8 minutes.
- Place the cabbage mixture into the bowl with the potatoes, and mash with a fork or potato masher until reaching desired consistency.