- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: Serves 4 people
This is an elegant dessert for a special occasion. Mixed Berry Custard Brulee includes your favorite berries and a caramelized sugar topping.
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 1 cup of fat-free milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons of slight dairy sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 3 cups of fresh berries (raspberry, blackberry and blueberry)
- For the custard: In a small saucepan, thoroughly combine 2 tablespoons of the sugar and the cornstarch. Add the milk and egg and stir with a wooden spoon over medium heat until the mixture barely begins to bubble. Immediately pour the custard into a small bowl and let stand for approximately 5 minutes.
- Whisk the sour cream into the custard and add the vanilla. Cover and chill the custard for 24 hours.
- When you're ready to serve the dessert, divide the berries evenly into four dessert dishes. Spoon the chilled custard over the berries. You may need to thin the custard a bit prior to spooning it out. If so, stir a bit of milk into the custard to thin.
- For the topping: In a heavy saucepan heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar over medium-high heat, just until the sugar starts to melt. You should shake the saucepan a bit to ensure the sugar heats evenly.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook the sugar until it's melted and golden. You may need to stir the sugar with a wooden spoon.
- Quickly drizzle the caramelized sugar over the top of each dessert serving.