- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min
- Total: 1 hr 40 min
- Serving: 6
Mexican Red Bean Chili is made special with the addition of ground New Mexico/California chilies.
- 2, 7 ounce jars roasted red peppers
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef, lean
- 3 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1, 28 ounce can tomatoes, cut up
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons each: cumin and coriander
- 4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup ground New Mexico or California chilies
- 3, 16 ounce cans kidney beans, drained
- In a blender puree the red peppers in their liquid until smooth, set aside.
- In a large pan, cook onion and ground beef until well browned. Add pureed red peppers.
- Add broth, tomatoes and liquid. Add spices and chillies. Bring to a boil over high heat; then simmer. Add beans. Cover and cook for 45 minutes, stirring often. Uncover and cook an additional 20 minutes or until desired thickness.