- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 21 min
- Total: 31 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
This soup is thick, hearty and flavorful and just perfect for a chilly evening with friends around the fire. If you can’t find Chorizo sausage, use any other spicy sausage of your choice.
- 1 chorizo link of sausage
- 1 onion
- 1 large can peeled whole tomatoes
- 2 small cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1-1/2 cup green lentils, soaked and rinsed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1-1/2 cup water
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large soup pot, brown the chorizo, garlic and onion over medium heat for 8 minutes.
- Add the ketchup and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add in the red pepper, bay leaves, thyme, cumin, lentils, garlic, broth, water and salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes. Skim off any extra oil from the top of the soup and discard.
- Adjust the seasoning, ladle into bowls and serve warm. Serve with fresh, crusty bread.