- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: 6
Tortilla chips are tucked into Mexican Beef Skillet Melt for add texture.
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1, 16 ounce can tomatoes
- 1, 20 ounce can red kidney beans, drained
- 1, 8 ounce package tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- In 10 inch skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef and onions. Stir in chili powder; cook 1 minute. Add salt, sugar, crushed red pepper and tomatoes with their liquid, stirring to mix well and break up tomatoes; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- Stir beans into ground beef mixture; heat through. Remove skillet from heat; tuck some tortilla chips into mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Cover skillet; let stand 5 minutes to melt cheese. Serve with remaining chips.