- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 2 hr 10 min
- Total: 2 hr 15 min
- Serving: 8 servings
Try using either a merlot or pinot noir for this flavorful red wine vegetable stock. There full-bodied taste will add a wonderful richness of flavor.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, quartered
- 4 carrots in 2-inch sections
- 3 stalks celery, with leaves, in 2-inch sections
- 5 cloves garlic, halved
- 4 cups vegetable mix such as: potato, sweet potato, leeks, shallots, summer squash, winter squash, parsnips, apple, mushrooms, spinach, chard, fennel
- 4 quarts water
- 1 cup red wine
- 4 tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1 bunch parsley
- Additional herbs of your choice
- Place the olive oil into a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Once it begins to shimmer, add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining vegetables and then sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add the water, wine, tomatoes, bay leaves, peppercorns, parsley, and any additional herbs, and then bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the mixture for 2 hours.
- Strain the mixture and use immediately or store in the freezer for up to 3 months.