- Prep: –
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 35 min
- Serving: Makes 64 appetizers or 8 main dish servings
Using the best cheese in any dish will deliver delicious results. Cheese made with the highest-quality ingredients, boasting rich flavor and easy "meltability" can turn the most basic recipes into knee-weakening meals.
Here is one of Chef Bernstein-Martinez’s favorite Mexican recipes featuring Sargento® Artisan Blends® Shredded Authentic Mexican Cheese.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 8-ounces Sargento® Artisan Blends® Shredded Authentic Mexican Cheese
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 cups spicy marinara or pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients except for the pasta sauce. Add onion mixture and mix well. Shape heaping tablespoons of meat mixture into small balls and place on a large foil lined baking sheet. Cook in oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until browned and cooked through.
- Place meatballs in two large skillets. Spoon 1 cup pasta sauce over meatballs in each skillet. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Turn meatballs over, cover and continue cooking for 5 to 8 minutes, or until meatballs and sauce are heated through. Serve as an appetizer with toothpicks, or as a main dish served over rice or pasta.