- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: 8
Baked with Italian vegetables, Meat and Macaroni Casserole is a great, family meal.
- 1, 16 ounce package elbow macaroni
- 3 green peppers, cut into thin strips
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground meat for meat loaf
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1, 28 ounce can tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1, 8 ounce package mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Prepare macaroni as package directs; drain; spoon into 13 by 9 inch baking dish; keep warm.
- In 12 inch skillet over medium heat, in hot oil, cook green peppers, onions, mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. With slotted spoon, spoon 1/3 cup vegetable mixture into cup; set aside for garnish; keep warm. Spoon remaining vegetable mixture into baking dish with macaroni.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In drippings remaining in skillet, cook ground meat for meat loaf and garlic until meat is browned and pan juices have evaporated. Stir in tomatoes with their liquid, pepper, half of shredded cheese and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Spoon meat mixture into baking dish with macaroni and vegetables; toss gently to mix. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and mixture is hot. Garnish with reserved vegetables.