- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: Serves about 6 people
This side dish is healthy, unique and flavorful. Mashed Sweet Potatoes and Apples with Sage Butter is a great side dish for the holidays.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces peeled and diced Gala apples
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 15-20 fresh sage leaves, divided (8 left whole, the remaining cut into strips)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, place potatoes, apples, garlic and 8 sage leaves, covered in water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer until the potatoes and apples are tender. This should take about 12-15 minutes. Once tender, drain and return to the pan and keep them covered.
- In a small skillet over medium-high heat, heat the butter. Once it melts and turns a light brown, add the strips of sage. Allow them to "pop" to flavor the butter (about 1 minute).
- Pour the sage and butter over the potatoes and apples mixture. Mash together with a potato masher. Stir in the salt and pepper and serve.