- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: 6
Butternut squash is healthy and versatile. Try this mashed butternut squash recipe for a twist on your average side dish recipe.
- 2 medium butternut squash (about 4 - 5 lbs)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut off ends of squash and discard. Peel, cut in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Cut squash into 3/4 inch cubes and place evenly on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, stir together melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, pepper and milk. Toss all ingredients together and spread over the squash.
- Roast for 30 minutes, turning half way through, until the squash is very tender. Try not to let it brown. Transfer squash and the pan drippings to a mixing bowl or casserole dish and mash or mix w/ hand mixer until smooth. Season to taste if necessary and serve immediately.