- Prep: 4 hr 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 4 hr 50 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Instead of cleaning and cutting large pieces of fresh octopus yourself ask your local fishmonger to provide you with baby octopus; it’s smaller and often sold already cleaned.
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sea salt, plus more to taste
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 1 pound cleaned fresh or frozen and thawed baby octopus, each cut into 5 pieces
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Mixed salad greens, for serving
- Place the vinegar, 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of salt, the bay leaves and 6 cups of water into a saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the mixture for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Drain the octopus and place into a bowl with the remaining lemon juice, the olive oil, oregano and minced garlic. Toss to combine and then cover and place into the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to marinate.
- Prior to serving, arrange the greens on a platter, add the marinated octopus and then sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Serve immediately.