- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr 10 min
- Serving: 8
One of the most popular ways to eat pumpkin is in pie. This hardy winter squash is packed with cancer fighting beta-carotene.
- Pumpkin filling:
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin or 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch black pepper (optional)
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie shell
- Combine the pumpkin filling ingredients in a large bowl, mix well.
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F.
- Keep pie shell in refrigerator while preparing filling.
- Pour filling into pie shell.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 450 degrees then lower heat to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cover the crust with strips of aluminum foil or a crust guard if it begins to brown too quickly.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve warm or at room temperature.