- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 5 min
- Total: 25 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Try coating this spicy and nutty sauce on your chicken satay. It’s intense authentic Malaysian flavor is quite memorable.
- 101/2 cup dry roasted peanuts (unsalted)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoon palm sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 heaped tamarind pulp (soaked in 1/4 cup water for 15 minutes, squeeze the tamarind pulp for juice and discard the pulp)
- 6-8 dried red chilies (seeded and soaked in warm water)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 shallots
- 2 lemon grass (white parts only)
- 1 inch ginger (galangal preferred)
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- Place the peanuts into a mini food processor and process until coarsely crushed. Set aside.
- Place the chilies, garlic, shallots, lemon grass, ginger and coriander powder into the mini food processor and finely chop.
- Put the oil into a skillet over medium-high heat and add the chili mixture. Heat the mixture until aromatic and then add the chopped peanuts, tamarind juice, water, sugar, sweet soy sauce.
- Stir the mixture vigorously to combine and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Serve at room temperature.