- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 8 servings
The best and most affordable way to make this dish is by using a variety of cheese ends from your local deli. Not only will you get a diverse selection of cheeses, but they are usually sold at about half the price.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups mixed shredded cheeses ends
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- Cook the pasta ‘al dente’ according to package directions and then drain.
- In the meantime, place the butter over low heat and then add the flour once it has melted. Whisk the mixture vigorously until smooth and paste-like, and then slowly whisk in the milk. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat and stir until thick.
- Remove the milk mixture from the heat and then add the shredded cheese. Add a few pinches of salt and pepper and then stir the mixture until all of the cheese has melted.
- Combine the cooked pasta with the cheese mixture and then transfer to a baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and then place under the broiler until browned. Remove from the oven and wait for 5 minutes before serving.