- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 8 min
- Total: 18 min
- Serving: Makes about 1-1/2 cups
This is a simple recipe for an all-purpose light cheese sauce; pour over vegetables, rice or baked potatoes to add creamy cheesy flavor.
- 5 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 2/3 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place 1/4 of the milk and the flour in a small bowl and whisk together to combine.
- Pour the remaining milk in a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, and warm until just steaming.
- Whisk in the flour mixture and cook the mixture for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick, and then remove from heat.
- Add the cheese, mustard, paprika, cayenne and salt, and stir until cheese melts.