- Prep: 7 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 37 min
- Serving: 4
Get your fill of Power Foods with this hearty dish. Sweet potatoes and dark green spinach decorate nutty lentils for a satisfying high-fiber meal. If this is your first lentil dish, be sure to sift through dry lentils and discard those that are broken or off color.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1, 4-ounce onion, chopped fine (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1, 8-ounce sweet potato, chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- Â¾ cup green or brown lentils, rinsed, picked over
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 pound baby spinach, trimmed, washed, drained (about 4 cups)
- Pinch cayenne
- Pinch salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Heat oil on medium-high in a large nonstick saucepan.
- Cook onions and garlic, stirring often, until onion is soft, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add water, sweet potato, lentils and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil then partially cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer until sweet potato and lentils are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain and discard bay leaf.
- Return pot to burner set on medium-low, stir in spinach and spices and cook until spinach wilts, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.