- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: Makes about 2 cups
A delicious alternative to classic hummus made with chickpeas; this lentil spread is heavenly slathered over crackers or warm pita.
- 1 cup lentils, preferably brown
- 3 cups water
- half of a cinnamon stick
- 1 whole sprig fresh rosemary or 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup minced carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 4 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or cilantro
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for garnishing
- Salt and pepper
- Place the lentils, cinnamon, rosemary, bay leaf and garlic in a pot and cover with water. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, for 35 minutes. Remove and discard the cinnamon, rosemary and bay leaf, and then place the cooked lentils into a food processor.
- In the meantime, place the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat and sauté the onions for 5 minutes. Stir in the carrots, hot pepper, allspice and a few pinches of salt and pepper and continue to cook the mixture for 5 minutes. Pour in the wine, cover the pan and simmer the mixture until the vegetables are soft, then continue to cook until all of the wine has evaporated.
- Transfer the onion mixture to the food processor with the lentils and puree until smooth. Add the fresh herbs, olive oil and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Pulse until blended and then serve immediately.