- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: Serves 4
A vegetarian dish chockfull of flavor, fiber and other healthful nutrients. Lentils cook quickly and go deliciously well with warm curry and rich coconut milk. Despite being high in saturated fat, coconut is composed of a type of saturated fat that is actually believed to boost metabolism. Additionally, coconut milk contains lauric acid, which makes it healthfully akin to mother’s milk.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, minced
- 1 cup yellow or green lentils, rinsed
- 2-1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, canned or fresh
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups cooked jasmine rice
- Place butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When butter is melted, add curry and onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils and broth, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir occasionally to make sure lentils aren’t sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in tomatoes and bring to a simmer. After 5 minutes, stir in coconut milk and cook, stirring, until curry is heated through. Ladle over rice and serve warm.