- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 1 hr 5 min
- Serving: 6
A true Vegan classic, Lentil Chili becomes a hearty meal when served with a loaf of multi-grain artisan bread.
- 8 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1, 16 ounce package brown lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 2, 15 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Bring 3/4 cups broth to a simmer in a large pot. Add onion, red pepper and garlic and cook about 8 minutes or until onion and pepper are tender.
- Stir in chili powder and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add lentils, tomatoes and remaining broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes or until lentils are almost tender. Uncover and cook an additional 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve.