- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 7 min
- Total: 22 min
This new ‘lemony’ take on a classic Waldorf salad is full of various flavors and textures including: walnuts, lemon, radishes, celery, raisins and apple. Serve with a French baguette and a bottle of Pinot Noir.
- 1/2 cup walnut halves, 2 ounces
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce, 4 ounces
- 4 large radishes, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise 1 cup
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery hearts s, from 4 inner ribs plus 1/4 cup chopped celery leave
- 1 small head of frisée, 6 ounces coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 Fuji apple-peeled, quartered cored and thinly sliced crosswise
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Evenly spread the walnuts in a single layer onto a baking sheet and then place in the oven for 7 minutes to toast. Remove from the oven and break into pieces once cool enough to handle.
- In the meantime, place the shallot, lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar, oils, cumin and a few pinches of salt and pepper into a bowl and whisk vigorously to blend.
- Put the lettuce into another bowl with the walnuts, radishes, celery, frisée, raisins and apple. Add the dressing and then toss the salad to coat. Serve immediately.