- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total: 30 min
- Serving: 12 People
These zesty muffins make an excellent breakfast treat, especially alongside a hot cup of coffee or tea.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Cream butter, sugar and egg yolks.
- In a separate bowl, combine 2 cups flour, baking powder and salt.
- Blend flour combination and lemon juice into egg mixture; set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; fold into batter.
- Pour batter into greased muffin tins.
- In a separate bowl, combine nuts, 2 tablespoons flour, brown sugar and nutmeg; sprinkle over muffin tops.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes.