- Prep: 2 hr
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total: 2 hr 30 min
- Serving: 4 1/2 dozen
Homemade leamon butter cookies with a lemon filling.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 cups butter, softened and divided
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1-3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Food coloring (optional)
- Mix together the flour, 1 cup butter, cream, 1/4 cup sugar, lemon peel and lemon extract. Beat until well blended. Divide into three parts and wrap in wax paper. Chill until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Add the remaining sugar to a bowl.
- Roll the doughs out to 1/8 inch thickness on a floured surface. Use a 1 1/2 inch round cookie cutter to cut out the dough. Dip in the sugar, coating both sides.
- Place the cookies 1 inch apart on cookie sheets, and use a fork to pierce the top of the cookies.
- Bake for 6-9 minutes or until slightly puffed (not browned). Cool for 1 minute before moving to racks.
- To make the filling: Mix the powdered sugar, remaining butter, lemon juice and vanilla in a bowl. Beat until smooth, and tint with the food coloring, if desired.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon of the filling onto the bottom of half the cookies. Top with the other half.