- Prep: 5 min
- Cook Time: 55 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: 2 Servings
Cornish game hen is perfect for a dinner party -- or even just anytime you want a change of pace from your regular chicken and turkey.
- 1 (1-1/4 pound) Cornish game hen
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch or two cayenne pepper
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced or one teaspoon dried
- 2 lemons, quartered
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove and discard giblets from hen.
- Rinse the hen inside and out with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Use your fingers to separate skin from flesh, careful not to tear it.
- Mix olive oil, peppers, salt and rosemary into a paste.
- Rub paste onto hen flesh under skin.
- Insert lemon wedges under the skin and in cavity.
- Place hen in a roasting pan and cover with foil. Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Remove and reserve foil and continue to cook until skin is browned, about ten to 15 minutes.
- Insert an instant-read thermometer into the meaty part of a thigh, not touching the bone.
- Hen is cooked through when thermometer reads 180 degrees F and the legs are wobbly.
- Remove the hen from the oven, cover with foil and let rest for ten minutes to allow its juices to set.