- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 18 min
- Total: 28 min
- Serving: Makes 12 muffins
These muffins have wonderfully bright and citrusy flavor due to the fresh lemon and orange juice, and finely shredded zest used in the recipe.
- Butter or oil to grease pan
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/4 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a bowl and stir well to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, applesauce, milk, oil, orange and lemon peel, and orange and lemon juice.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and then add the egg mixture. Stir unit just combined and then transfer the batter to the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake the muffins for 18 minutes or until the tops turn light brown. Cool for 5 minutes prior to serving.