- Prep: 1 hr 10 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 1 hr 10 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Also known as ‘Prasorizo,’ this simple Greek meal made with leeks and rice can be enjoyed as a side or a main vegetarian dish. Serve with an American Riesling or Gewürztraminer.
- 3 pounds leeks, trimmed and washed well
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup rice
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- juice of half a lemon
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Using a sharp knife, cut the leeks in 1/2-inch pieces.
- Place the olive oil into a large pot over medium heat. Once it begins to shimmer, add the onion, celery, and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Stir in the chopped leeks and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and then add a few pinches of salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low; gently simmer for 35 minutes.
- Stir in the rice, parsley, dill and lemon juice, cover and cook the mixture for 30 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper, and then serve immediately.