- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 45 min
- Serving: 8
A slice of Layered Walnut Pumpkin Pie is a nice way to end a great meal.
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped fine
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1, 16 ounce can pumpkin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1, 9 inch baked, cooled pie shell
- walnut halves for decoration
- Soften gelatin in water in a 2 quart saucepan. Stir in pumpkin, 1/2 cup of the sugar, milk, lightly beaten egg yolks, spice and salt. Heat just to boiling, stirring constantly. Turn heat very low and cook 5 minutes, stirring.
- Remove from heat; add vanilla and cool. Chill until mixture slightly thickens.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks. Gradually beat in 2 tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff. Fold into pumpkin mixture, along with chopped walnuts.
- Beat cream with remaining sugar until very stiff. Turn half pumpkin mixture into pie shell and spread level. Top with 3/4 of the cream and spread in even layer. Spoon on remaining pumpkin filling. Decorate top with remaining cream and walnut halves.
- Chill at least 4 hours before cutting.