- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 22 min
- Total: 32 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Latin dishes are full of lively flavors and robust tastes. Try this kale and black bean combination tossed with jalapeño, garlic and an enjoyable citrus sauce.
- 6 cups kale, washed and torn
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 teaspoons pickled jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 small red or orange sweet pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and fresh pepper
- 3 cups rice
- Cook the rice according to package directions and set aside.
- In the meantime, place the kale into a large saucepan, add enough water to cover and then bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the mixture, covered, for 15 minutes. Carefully drain the kale and set aside to cool.
- Put the olive oil into a large sauté pan over low heat. Once shimmering, add the garlic, onion, jalapeno pepper, and sweet pepper and sauté for 4 minutes. Stir in the orange juice and the lemon juice and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the cooked greens and the beans to the pan and then sprinkle with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Toss well to combine and then serve over the hot rice.