- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 1 hr 5 min
- Serving: 6 Servings
If you can find fresh egg noodles for this dish go ahead and splurge, because the flavors are phenomenal and the dish’s presentation is fabulous.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 celery rib, finely diced
- 1-1/2 pounds ground lamb
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1, 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1-1/4 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 3/4 pound wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large sauce pan over high heat and sauté the carrot, onion and celery for 5 minutes.
- Add the lamb, coriander, fennel, cumin, rosemary, thyme and a sprinkle of salt and pepper, and cook for 5 additional minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the ketchup to the mixture and cook for 1 minute, then pour in the wine and cook for 5 more minutes. Finally, add the tomatoes and pour in the stock. Once the mixture boils, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partly covered, for 25 minutes.
- Cook the wide egg noodles according to the directions on the package. Drain and add to the sauce, along with the butter and the last 1 tablespoon of oil. Toss gently to coat. Place the pasta into individual bowls and then top with the ricotta and fresh mint.