- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 2 hr
- Serving: 8
King Ranch Chicken is served with a hearty, jalapeno studded cornbread.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1, 8 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1, 16 ounce can tomatoes with green chilies
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast cutlets
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, shredded
- For the Cornbread: 1 package cornbread mix
- 1, 8 ounce can corn kernels, drained
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup jalapenos, chopped
- Saute onion in oil. Combine with soup, tomatoes and milk. Put aside.
- Bake chicken cutlets in oven until nearly done. Cut into bite-sized pieces and mix with above mixture.
- Cut tortillas strips and layer bottom of casserole dish with half of the strips. Pour one half of the chicken mixture over tortillas and cover with half of the cheese. Repeat process with remaining ingredients.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-55 minutes until bubbly.
- Make cornbread. Prepare mix as shown on package and add all other ingredients and mix well. Bake in an 8 inch square pan at 400 degrees F for 25-30 minutes.