- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr 10 min
- Total: 1 hr 30 min
- Serving: 6-8
Impress your party guests with this healthy pasta dish that can easily be made ahead of time. The kale and squash make this lasagna flavorful and unique.
- 1-1/2 pound butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 3-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced
- Cooking spray
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 4 cups lacinato (or regular) kale, rinsed and cut into ribbons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut butternut squash into thin slices and place on baking sheet. Drizzle with one tablespoon oil and a pinch of salt and pepper then toss to coat. Arrange in an even layer on baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes or until butternut squash has softened. Remove the squash from the oven, but keep your oven on.
- While the butternut squash roasts, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the lasagna noodles and cook for seven minutes or until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water to prevent sticking.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1-1/2 teaspoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté for two minutes. Stir in kale and one tablespoon of basil. Add 1/4 cup water to skillet and cover, cooking for 5 minutes. Remove cover, reduce heat to low and cook for three minutes more. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, heat remaining two tablespoons of oil over medium-high. Add the flour and whisk for one minute. Slowly whisk in milk and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Continue whisking for two more minutes or until white sauce thickens. Remove from heat.
- Stir the ricotta into your kale. Add the egg and oregano and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Coat a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 2/3 cup of sauce over bottom. Arrange a layer of lasagna noodles over sauce. Gently spread half the ricotta mixture over noodles and top with the roasted butternut squash. Sprinkle half the mozzarella over squash. Top with remaining ricotta, followed by lasagna noodles. Top with remaining sauce, basil and mozzarella.
- Coat a sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray. Tent foil, sprayed side down, over lasagna. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 15 more minutes to brown cheese slightly. Let your lasagna rest for about five minutes before cutting.