- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 6 min
- Total: 16 min
- Serving: Makes 12 Servings
This salad is not only beautiful to serve but it also combines a unique blend of flavors from the combination of buttery pecans, salty pancetta, sweet apple and slightly bitter kale.
- 2 cups pecans, lightly toasted
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces thickly sliced pancetta, finely diced
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caper brine, from a jar of capers
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cut into matchsticks
- 1 head large radicchio, shredded
- 1 8 ounce bunch kale, stems discarded, leaves finely shredded
- 3 tablespoons snipped chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 2 ounces shaved pecorino
- Place the pancetta and the olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over moderate heat for 6 minutes, stirring frequently, and then transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Pour the pancetta drippings into a large salad bowl and then add the vinegar, caper brine, maple syrup and a few pinches of salt and pepper. Whisk the mixture vigorously to combine and then add the apples, radicchio, kale, chives, tarragon and pecorino. Toss to coat.
- Serve the salad topped with the toasted pecans and the cooked pancetta.