- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 15 min
- Serving: 6
A zesty alternative to cabbage slaw, mild jicama and sweet apple come alive with a tangy citrus dressing. Jicama is white fleshed tuber (a root grown in the ground) that is covered in a brown skin.
- Juice of 3 limes (about 1/4 cup)
- Juice of an orange (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 easpoon black pepper
- Pinch salt
- Pinch sugar (or a bit more if using a tart apple)
- 1, 8 ounce jicama, peeled, cut into matchsticks (about 1 Â½ cups)
- 1, 5 ounce red onion, halved, sliced thin (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 pound firm red or green apples, cored, cut into matchsticks (about 3 cups)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the slaw ingredients.
- Make dressing before preparing slaw since cut apples will discolor.
- In a large serving bowl, toss jicama, onion, mint and apple.
- Immediately pour in dressing and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to marry the flavors.
- Toss again, drain excess liquid and serve cold.