- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 18 min
- Total: 33 min
- Serving: 4
Enjoy the simple yet flavorful tastes of Japanese cuisine in this traditional chicken and scallion rice bowl.
- 1-1/2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Make the brown rice according to package directions and divide between four bowls. Set aside.
- Place the broth, sugar, soy sauce, rice wine and chicken in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and leave to simmer.
- Place the egg whites and the egg into a bowl and mix with a fork until just combined, and then slowly pour into the chicken broth mixture without stirring.
- After two minutes, add in the scallions and then stir the mixture with a knife. Cook for an additional two minutes and then ladle it into the prepared rice bowls and serve.