- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 6 min
- Total: 21 min
- Serving: Makes 8 hot dogs
These hot dogs are smothered in spicy chipotle chili that is packed with bold flavor and delicious taste.
- 2 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño chile pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (8-ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup lager beer, beef broth, or water
- 8 1/4-pound all-beef hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Place the bacon and half the onion in a skillet and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the jalapeno and garlic and cook for an additional minute before adding the ground beef.
- Cook the beef mixture for 5 minutes, add the seasonings, tomato sauce and beer and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the mixture for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.
- In the meantime, prepare the grill on medium heat.
- Using a sharp knife, makes a few shallow cuts in each of the hot dogs and then place on the grill for 6 minutes, turning occasionally, with the lid closed. During the last few minutes of cooking, add the buns to the grill to toast.
- Place each grilled dog in a bun and then top with the chili, the cheese and the remaining onion.