- Prep: –
- Cook Time: –
- Total: –
- Serving: 8 People
Savor global-flavor night tonight and cook up a batch of these Jamaican red beans and rice. You might even want to put on some reggae music to get everyone in on the Yeah, Mon fun!
- 2 cups dried kidney beans
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons shortening or 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 pound salt pork or ham bone
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Jerk seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked rice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Smoked sausage
- Soak the beans in water overnight.
- Melt the fat in an iron pot and sauté the onion and green pepper.
- Add the beans and the soaking water (plus enough additional water to make 2-1/2 quarts), the pork (or ham bone), the garlic and bay leaf to the pot.
- Simmer slowly for 3 to 4 hours or until it is creamy.
- Season to taste. Add the parsley and boiled sausage (sliced) and serve over the hot, cooked rice.