- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 50 min
- Serving: Three 6-1/2-inch pans of bread
Give your cornbread a jolt of spicy flavor with the addition of diced jalapeno peppers.
- 1-3/4 cups medium grind yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 can (15-ounce) creamed corn
- 1/2 cup jalapeños
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- Butter, for coating cast-iron skillet
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and butter three 6-1/2-inch skillets or bread pans.
- Place the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl and mix to combine with a whisk.
- Place the eggs with the buttermilk into a medium bowl, and mix with a whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to blend, and then fold in the creamed corn, jalapenos, cheese and melted butter.
- Place the prepared pans into the oven and heat for 4 minutes, then pour the batter into the pans and cook for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread tests clean.