- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 4 hr
- Total: 4 hr 10 min
- Serving: 15-20 people
This recipe is an easy, crowd pleasing Italian torte appetizer that can be prepared up to 3 days in advance. A guaranteed success!
- 2, 8-ounce packages of cream cheese
- 1 to 2 cloves of garlic
- 1, 3-ounce bag of sundried tomatoes
- 8-ounces pesto
- 10 slices of provolone cheese
- Bring water to a boil, turn off and add sundried tomatoes; cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Drain and chop fine.
- Mix softened cream cheese and garlic together in bowl and set aside. (The longer it will be refrigerated, the less garlic is needed.)
- Line a loaf pan or bowl with dampened cheesecloth; cut large enough to fold back over top after ingredients are added.
- Line with a layer of provolone cheese; spread cheese with half of the pesto; add half of the cream cheese/garlic mixture and spread to fill bottom; add half of the chopped and drained sundried tomatoes.
- Put a layer of provolone over this and repeat the same process. Finish it with a layer of provolone. This will serve as the bottom of your torte.
- Pull the cheesecloth around the torte so it is completely covered. Lightly press into bowl to mold to shape, and get excess oil out. Refrigerate for at least 3 to 4 hours before serving.
- Unwrap cheesecloth from torte, pull out of bowl and turn upside down onto serving plate. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve with sourdough bread or crackers. (Best if served at room temperature.)