- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 3 hr 30 min
- Total: 3 hr 50 min
- Serving: 6-8
This tender Italian seasoned brisket is very versatile and will feed a hungry crowd. It's a great make ahead dish and can be sliced thin for hearty sandwiches on crusty bread or served as an elegant dinner alongside creamy mashed potatoes and asparagus spears.
- 1 Beef Brisket about 4 pounds
- 2 garlic cloves slivered
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed crushed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups water
- 1 green bell pepper cut in thin strips
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- Trim excess fat from the brisket and discard.
- Place brisket, fat side up, in a 9 by 13 inch roasting pan.
- Sprinkle garlic and fennel seeds over the surface. Place onion on top.
- Bake uncovered in a 325 degree F oven for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and cover with aluminum foil and seal tightly. Continue cooking for 2 hours or until tender. Remove brisket and allow to cool completely. This will allow for easy slicing.
- Pour cooking liquid into a 2 quart saucepan. Add water, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon cubes, Italian seasoning, salt and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Carve brisket diagonally across the grain into thin slices. Add slices to seasoned cooking liquid and heat through.
- Serve on sliced crusty bread.