- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: –
- Total: 15 min
- Serving: 8 servings
A flavorful mix of vegetables, olives, pepperoncini, and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese creates a classic, oil and vinegar-topped salad that every Italian mother knows how to prepare. Serve with thick slices of peasant bread.
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 large romaine heart, chopped
- 1 small head of radicchio, halved, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 head of iceberg lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 tender celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, preferably Sicilian
- 8 peperoncini
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved 1 cup
- Place the garlic into a large salad bowl, sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and mash into a paste with the back of a spoon or a pestle.
- Add the vinegar and oregano to the bowl and then slowly pour in the oil while whisking vigorously to blend. Season the dressing to taste with salt and fresh pepper.
- Place the remaining ingredients into the salad bowl and then toss to coat. Serve immediately.