- Prep: 12 hr 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Total: 13 hr
- Serving: 4 Servings
‘Fagioli e Tonno,’ which translates into ‘white bean and tuna salad’ is a traditional dish made throughout central Italy where cannellini beans are plentiful. Serve with thick slices of Italian bread to soak up the wonderful olive oil-based sauce.
- 1⁄2 pound dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 5.5-ounce cans imported tuna in olive oil
- Drain and rinse the soaked beans and then place into a large pot over high heat; bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 50 minutes. Drain the beans, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water, and then place into a shallow salad bowl.
- Place the oil, vinegar, garlic, reserved cooking liquid and the oil from the tuna into a bowl and whisk vigorously to combine. Pour the mixture over the beans, add a few pinches of salt and pepper and then toss to coat.
- Add the tuna and the parsley and gently toss once more to combine. Serve immediately.