- Prep: 1 hr
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 2 hr
- Serving: 12
Delicious and very rich... a wonderful holiday splurge. Serve small pieces to start.
- For filling:
- 8 egg yolks
- 4 ounces flour (almost 1 cup)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 quart milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 lemon rind
- For crust:
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch baking powder
- In saucepan, beat eggs well; add flour, sugar and milk. Drop in lemon rind. Cook mixture over low-medium heat, stirring constantly.
- When thick, halve; add cocoa to 1/2 and vanilla and cinnamon to 1/2. Set aside. Remove and discard lemon rind.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Add egg yolks and cut in shortening and vanilla. Add milk if mixture seems too dry.
- Divide dough into 2 balls. Roll each on floured board.
- Put bottom crust in greased deep 10-inch pie pan.
- Pour in vanilla into cooled filling, then place mixture into crusted pie plate.
- Add chocolate filling on top, but do not mix.
- Apply top crust.
- Bake at 300F 45 minutes to 1 hour.