- Prep: 2 hr
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 3 hr
- Serving: 8
My family makes this every year, and it never lasts long.
- 2 packages yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup nonfat milk solids
- 3-3/4 cups sifted flour
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 2 tablespoon candied pineapple
- 1/4 cup candies lemon peel
- Sprinkle yeast into lukewarm water.
- Mix sugar, salt, butter and 1/4 cup water.
- Combine non-fat milk solids and 1 cup flour.
- Remove 1 tablespoon white from eggs and set aside for glaze. Add remainder of eggs, vanilla and yeast. Beat until smooth.
- Add 1 cup flour, fruits and nuts. Blend, adding remaining flour to form soft dough.
- Turn dough out on lightly floured pastry cloth and knead until smooth. Place in greased bowl, then flip so greased side is up. Cover and let rise in warm spot until doubled (about 1 hour and 20 minutes). Turn out on a pastry cloth and knead.
- Shape into round loaf; put in greased 8- to 9-inch round cake pan. Brush with egg white, cover and let rise until doubled (40 minutes).
- Brush with egg white. Bake at 325F for 55 to 60 minutes. Cover with foil after 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning.