- Prep: 2 hr 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total: 2 hr 25 min
- Serving: 9
Caponata is a traditional Sicilian dish made with tomatoes and eggplant. Enjoy it as an appetizer, served with crackers or chunks of peasant bread -- or as a hearty side dish with a glass of Pollino or Zagarolo DOC.
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 cups eggplant, chopped and peeled
- 3/4 cup tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat and sauté the onion and the garlic for four minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the eggplant and the tomato, stir to combine and then cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Stir in the basil, vinegar, salt and pepper and then transfer the mixture to a bowl. Cover and place in the refrigerator for two to three hours.