- Prep: 15 min
- Cook Time: 1 hr
- Total: 1 hr 15 min
- Serving: 10
Mama Mia! Italian Brunch Casserole with have your family singing at the breakfast table.
- 1 1/4 pounds Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2, 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes with garlic, basil and oregano, drained
- 3 cups seasoned croutons
- 5 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Crumble sausage and place in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until no longer pink, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add bell pepper and onion; cook until onion is translucent, about 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add mushrooms, garlic and oregano; cook until mushrooms are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in crouton; mix well. Spread sausage mixture in pan.
- Combine egg whites, eggs, milk and black pepper. Whisk until well blended and pour evenly over sausage mixture. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 minutes, or until top is golden brown.