- Prep: 20 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Total: 1 hr
- Serving: 6
Italian Apple Cake has the robust flavor of rum.
- 3 large firm tart apples, peeled, cored and cut into thin slices
- 1/3 cup rum
- 4 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 3 1/3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- butter and flour for baking pan
- Put apple slices in a bowl and pour rum over them. Make sure the slices are completely moistened with rum.
- Beat the eggs with 1 1/2 cups sugar until thick and light. Beat in the lemon zest.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder; stir gradually into batter.
- Butter and flour a 7 by 11 inch baking pan. Turn the dough into the pan. Smooth the top. Place the apple slices in orderly rows on top of dough. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes, until cake tests done. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.