- Prep: 30 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total: 1 hr 5 min
- Serving: Yield 2 dozen
These delicate Italian cookies are a sweet treat to enjoy with a steaming cup of coffee or tea.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons Anise seed
- 3-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup chopped Almonds (can be substituted with Walnuts)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-sized bowl, cream the butter, sugar and 1 tablespoon of the anise seed, and then add the eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and the remaining anise seed. Mix with a metal whisk and then add to the cream mixture. Fold in nuts.
- Form the dough into 2 or 3 long thin rolls and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake biscotti for 15 to 20 minutes or until cookie rolls are light brown in color.
- Remove from oven and cut diagonally into 1/2 to 3/4 inch slices. Place the slices back into the oven and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes until biscotti is lightly toasted.