- Prep: 55 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total: 1 hr 40 min
- Serving: 4-6
Indian Tacos are flavorful ground beef served with fry bread instead of tortillas.
- Beef Mixture: 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1, 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 2 cans red pinto beans, undrained
- 2 cups Fry Bread Mix
- 3/4 cups plus 2 teaspoon warm water
- shortening for frying
- Garnishes: picante sauce, lettuce, cheese, chopped onion
- Cook ground beef and garlic together. Add tomato sauce, seasoning and pinto beans. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Place fry bread mix in a large bowl; gradually add water. Mix well and set aside for 40 minutes.
- Heat shortening to 400 degrees F. When shortening is ready, place dough on floured surface and roll 1/2 inch thick. Cut in 4 inch squares. Gently pull and stretch each piece as you drop it in the hot fat. Turn when brown and lift out and drain.
- Serve hot with meat mixture. Top with garnishes.