- Prep: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Total: 20 min
- Serving: 4 Servings
Indian cuisine is known for its wide array of pungent and aromatic spices. Enjoy such an exotic blend in this flavorful shrimp recipe served on top of pita or traditional naan bread.
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 1-inch piece peeled ginger, about the thickness of a thumb, quartered
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 pound cleaned medium shrimp
- Turn on a food processor. With the motor running, drop the garlic and ginger down the processor flute to chop. Add the onion and pulse the mixture to combine.
- Place the oil into a large sauté pan over medium heat. Once it begins to shimmer, add the garlic mixture and sauté for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle the curry powder, cumin powder, cayenne and a few pinches of salt into the pan and stir the mixture well to combine.
- Cook the mixture for 1 minute and then add the water and the tomato paste; bring the mixture to a simmer. Place the shrimp into the pan, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Serve immediately.